Search the Site
TagsAssessment Assignment China Colonial Legacy Commonalities Concept of Development Conjuncture of Circumstances Convergence Course Outline Dependency Theories Development Experience Dualistic Development Theories Ethiopia Formal Economy Gini Coefficient Harrod-Domar Model Health Home-Based Economic Activities Human Development index Income Distribution Informal Economy Information on the Course International Trade Internet Sources Introduction Kuznet's Curve Lorenze Curve Migration Multi-Dimensional Poverty Index Population Poverty Poverty Trap Pro-Poor Growth Reading List Rural Development South Korea Stage Theories Structural Change Term Paper Textbook Theories of Development Urbanization Vicious Circle W. A. Lewis W. W. Rostow
- VIII.B. DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE December 7, 2015
- VII. D. and E. TRADE STRATEGIES AND DEVELOPMENT; REGIONAL INTEGRATION December 2, 2015
- VII. B. and C. TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT: AND PRIMARY COMMODITY TRADE December 2, 2015
- VII. A INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT: THE “GLOBALIZATION” PHENOMENON November 30, 2015
- VI C. NATIONAL MIGRATION November 25, 2015
- VI B. URBANIZATION IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES November 25, 2015
- VI.A AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT November 24, 2015
- LISTING OF CONCEPTS AND TERMS FOR REVIEW November 18, 2015
- V. MARKET, PLAN, THE STATE AND CIVIL SOCIETY November 17, 2015
- IV.D.2 HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT: A NOTE ON ENTREPRENEURSHIP November 10, 2015
- MID-TERM EXAM: GRADING GUIDE November 10, 2015
- IV.D. THE “INFORMAL SECTOR” November 10, 2015
- IV.C HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT October 21, 2015
- IV.B EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT October 21, 2015
- IV.A POPULATION GROWTH AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT October 19, 2015
- THE MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS, 2000-2015, AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT Agenda, 2015-2030 October 7, 2015
- III. POVERTY, INCOME DISTRIBUTION AND DEVELOPMENT October 7, 2015
- A NOTE ON LIBERIA October 7, 2015
- II. THEORIES OF GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT September 21, 2015
- A NOTE ON ETHIOPIA September 21, 2015
- A NOTE ON THE COURSE ASSIGNMENT September 15, 2015
- I.B INTRODUCTION: RECENT DEVELOPMENT EXPERIENCES, AFRICA, ASIA AND LATIN AMERICA September 14, 2015
- I.A INTRODUCTION: ECONOMIC AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT, CONCEPTS AND MEASUREMENT September 4, 2015
- Carleton University, ECON 3508, Autumn 2015: INFORMATION ON THE COURSE, COURSE OUTLINE AND READING LIST August 22, 2015
Comments and Questions
ECON 3508; September 14, 2015
The assignment for this course involves the writing of a brief report or essay on “human development,” its meaning and its measure, in the context of a specific country. The purpose of the assignment is to promote thought and analysis on the meaning of the term “development” and how it could be measured, with an application to a specific country.
Please select a country of interest to you.
It should be about 2000 to 2500 words or ten to 12 typewritten pages (double-spaced, font 12, one inch margins.) It may be hand-written if easily legible. Use a standard and consistent citation system.
The due date for the assignment is October 14. 10:00 AM (at the beginning of the class.) The assignment is worth 20% of the final term grade.
This Report should answer a number of questions:
1. What is your own definition of “development”? How might this be measured? How does this compare with the United Nations Development Program’s definitions and measures in its Human Development Reports?
2. Examine the “development record” of a specific country of interest to you in the light of your answer to question 1 above. Has this country achieved some aspects of “development”?
3. Are your conclusions regarding “levels” and comparative performance regarding the development of this country in accord with the conclusions of the UNDP? Explain why and/or why not.
Some of the main sources for your work should be:
• Readings from the text book for Parts I, II and III of the Course Outline.
• Readings on the country of your choice, sufficient to gain an understanding of its record regarding Human Development
• UNDP Human Development Report, 2010: The Real Wealth of Nations,
• You can obtain useful insights from the UNDP Human Development Reports of past years, available here: http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/ebooks/. Another useful source is the new UNDP publication entitled Measuring Human Development: A Prime r, 2011
• To Use the UNDP Human Resource Development Report Data Bank for the Construction of your own Tables, go to Human Development Indicators, 2010, or http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/tables/default.html.
Please re-read the materials in the course outline concerning plagiarism and make sure that you avoid it.
Feel free to seek advice from me or from me or the Teaching Assistant. The TA for this course is Sara McGuigan. (SaraMcGuigan@cmail.carleton.ca; Office hours, Tuesdays, 12:30 – 2:00 or by appointment.)
Power Point Presentation: ECON 3508 I B Recent Development Experience, 2015ppt
September 2, 4 and 9, 2015
[See Textbook, Chapter 1 and 2, pp. 40-55]
Power Point Presentation is here: ECON 3508 I A. Concept and Measurement of Development 2015
Carleton University, ECON 3508, Autumn 2015: INFORMATION ON THE COURSE, COURSE OUTLINE AND READING LIST
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
ECON 3508 A
INTRODUCTION TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
Autumn Term 2015
Professor A.R.M. Ritter September 1, 2015
INFORMATION ON THE COURSE
Please use the attached “WORD” electronic version of this Course Outline and Reading List as it contains hyperlinks to so some source materials for the course and for the term paper.